Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Journey to Italy



To my surprise, my trip to Italy went extremely smooth, with only a few minor bumps along the way. The moment that stands out in my mind the most about arriving in Venice, Italy was my first day exploring the city and the feeling of total freedom and independence.

I arrived in Venice on Friday, January 15, checked into my hostel and slept straight through until the next morning. I didn't know anyone yet from our CIMBA group and was attempting to conquer Venice on my own. I started off walking mid-morning and followed the large group of tourists and locals across bridges and down paths through small shops and markets. I was just trying to stay on track, while taking in all the beautiful old buildings, canals, bridges and gondolas. The sun was shining, the air was crisp and it was a moment that will stay with me forever. I just kept thinking to myself that I was in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

While it was a little intimidating landing in Venice and navigating myself through the airport, across bridges and to my hostel, I think it was a great experience for me. It's nice to meet new people, but it's also important to figure things out on your own. In the end, I'll look back at that first day in Venice and recognize it as my first step of independence and freedom in this amazing experience.

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I just discovered this. Great to read about your feelings and your experiences! I'll tune in regularly. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're starting this! Can't wait to read about your experience. You are an independent young thing these days!! Love the top picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - not trying to stalk you with 2 accounts. I couldn't get the original account to show login again, so I had to start over!

    ReplyDelete