Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gaudi and Barcelona

For this past travel weekend, I went to Barcelona, Spain. My mom studied there when she was 19 and my sister spent a summer in Seville. They both loved Barcelona and so I was excited to experience it for myself.

Before going to Barcelona, I had heard a lot about Gaudi and his architecture, but I didn’t know quite what to expect. I knew about La Sagrada Familia and I had seen pictures, but I didn’t know about Parc Guell and the other buildings he designed. I wondered if they would even be recognizable. I think his work ended up being some of the most recognizable architecture I’d ever seen.

We walked up to the Parc Guell area on Saturday and it was amazing. His buildings reminded me of Candy land: the tops looked like they could be made of frosting. Colorful mosaics mixed with huge columns, a stone walkway and palm trees made for a very unique combination.

We walked up to the top of the building and looked out over the city of Barcelona. Everyone was enjoying the view, soaking up the sun and listening to the music. If I could live in Parc Guell, I would move there in a heartbeat! It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment